Following the vote to leave the EU in June, you might have thought that Armageddon was just around the corner. We are doomed, the economy will crash, it will take years to negotiate an exit, EU countries will punish us with high tariffs….
But Britain’s small business owners, in my experience, have pretty much ignored the background noise. In fact they have been …
- chasing up leads & identifying new potential customers
- keeping an eye on costs
- monitoring profit margins
- training staff to develop their skills
- increasing value to clients with new products and services
- building relationships with other organisations
- looking for new suppliers
- providing excellent customer service
- checking out competitors
- looking at export markets now that sterling has fallen
- adjusting prices to reflect input costs from overseas suppliers
- doing their accounts
- paying bills and salaries
- dealing with issues
- answering the phone
…and working hard to provide an income for them and their families.
In fact small business owners know the only person they can rely on is themselves and their staff. They don’t wait around for governments to make decisions or for EU negotiations to start…
They just get on with the job
P.S. My business is a small business and I have been getting on with the job too. I have done pretty much all of the above AND wrote this blog entry.